Person-centered senior care is an approach to caring for older adults that honors and respects their desires and choices. Team members who share this goal work with seniors to create lifestyles that meet their individual needs, enabling residents to maintain as much independence as possible while providing them with assistance when needed.
In other words, person-centered care puts seniors first, and it prioritizes families.
How does person-centered care tangibly benefit seniors and their families?
With this tailored approach to long-term care, residents at person-centered South Austin assisted living and memory care communities like SoCo Village can live in comfort while having access to all the resources they need at any level of care. Whether seniors come from Manchaca, Bluff Springs, Pilot Knob, or any other neighborhood nearby or far away from Austin, they are all treated like family here.
The team is knowledgeable about the special requirements of senior care and can accommodate specific requests or concerns to ensure that seniors achieve high levels of satisfaction and better health outcomes, including fewer falls and hospitalizations. Plus, person-centered care reduces family members’ stress and burnout by offering extensive care that they no longer have to provide alone.
At SoCo Village, person-centered senior care in our Southern Texas city near Creedmoor and Hays includes:
- An environment that encourages socialization. Residents in person-centered care settings are encouraged to stay connected with friends and family members through activities like group meals and outings. These practices connect seniors with the wider Austin community, which can improve overall well-being.
- Personalized treatment plans. Person-centered care allows for plans that are highly customizable based on seniors’ and their families’ requests. At SoCo Village, these may include physical therapy, cognitive activities, and other services designed to improve seniors’ physical and mental fitness on their own terms. Memory care residents with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia receive the extra attention they deserve, with the security and consistency of our signature programming designed just for memory loss.
- Emotional support. Associates at SoCo Village understand the importance of emotional support for seniors in their care. They build relationships with each resident and create an environment that encourages open communication.
- Helpful resources. In addition to making sure that seniors are as informed as possible about their care, our team presents families with the information they need to remain informed about their loved ones’ conditions and opportunities for improvement.
How can you make your loved one’s move to South Austin assisted living or memory care more person-centered?
If your loved one has any difficulty in the process of moving to a senior living community, remember that this doesn’t have to be a lonely experience. There are many ways to make their transition more person-centered and help them feel at home in their new environment.
- One of the best ways to make your loved one’s move more person-centered is to engage with them through activities they enjoy. Talk to them about the kinds of hobbies or activities they would like to do while living in their senior care community, as these can drastically ease the adjustment period. You could plan special outings or even invite friends over for visits so that your loved one has extra chances for socialization.
- Bring in elements of home that can help your loved one feel like they are still familiar with their environment. If possible, try to bring items from their old home that they were particularly attached to so they can have a sense of comfort and familiarity. Additionally, decorating their room or apartment with family photos and other mementos can also make a huge difference in the transition process.
- Finally, it’s essential that you remain positive and reassuring toward your loved one during this time of adjustment. Seniors often worry about leaving their homes and having to start over in a new place, so companionship is key. Keep up a consistent communication schedule and make sure to check in on them regularly.
By taking the time to focus on your loved one’s individual needs and preferences, you’ll give them the chance to enjoy a new lifestyle while staying connected with the people and activities that bring joy into their life. With your support, this period of adjustment can become an exciting journey rather than a difficult one.
Help Your Entire Family Experience the Benefits of Person-centered Care
SoCo Village is committed to ensuring that all of their residents experience a life full of dignity, joy, and purpose. For more information about person-centered senior care, please contact us today. We will help you find the best option for your needs, and we’ll make your search for South Texas assisted living or memory care as smooth and stress-free as possible.